Warmer nights and longer days call for a refreshing drink! We reached out to our community for some delicious and classic cocktails to keep you cool at home or to stir up at your next get together. Enjoy responsibly!
(Bacon) Bloody Mary from Ladies & The Camp
- 1 large bottle of Tomato Juice
- Lemon & Lime
- Tabasco Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
1. Crisp up your bacon and set aside.
2. Add 1 shot of vodka into each cup.
3. Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce, tabasco sauce, salt & pepper, and a squeeze of lemon and lime and stir. Amounts are to your taste so if you like the hot stuff, go heavy on the tabasco!
4. Top up the glass with tomato juice.
5. Skewer an olive or 2 and place along the top of your cup. Finish with a sprig of celery and a crispy piece of bacon and get ready to feel bloody good!
* * *
- 2oz PIMM'S No.1
- 5oz lemon-lime soda or ginger ale*
- Add strawberry, orange & cucumber
- Finish with a sprig of mint
Fill a highball glass with ice. Top with Pimms, mixer, fresh fruit. Stir and garnish with a sprig of mint. A Pimm’s Cup (or Pimm’s Original) is great served in a carafe! Just increase the proportions to fit whatever vessel you are mixing it up in.
*A note on mixers: The traditional British and Aussie recipe calls for lemonade, which is similar to Sprite; it is not the same as lemonade in the U.S. This recipe would work with American lemonade, just may be a bit more tart.
* * *
This Northern Italian cocktail has been growing in popularity in the U.S., and is an absolute summer staple in Australia!
- 3 oz Aperol
- 3 oz dry Prosecco (or any sparkling wine)
- 1 oz club soda or unflavored sparkling water
- Orange slice
1. Add a bit of ice to a wine glass.
2. Top with Aperol, Prosecco, and club soda.
3. Stir and garnish with orange.
With a 1 to 1 ratio, this yum cocktail is easy to scale up and make a larger amount to pour and serve a few people. You can make it less bitter by decreasing the Aperol, or adding more club soda. Enjoy!
Photo by Victoria Shes on Unsplash
* * *
The Classic Shandy
Our American team member was completely perplexed by this Australian pub classic. A shandy is beer - preferably a lager - topped with Sprite or ginger ale. The easiest summer cocktail of them all!!
If you want to make your shandy a bit fancier, check out this spiked summer shandy from Delicious magazine:
- 1 large bottle of chilled lemon lime and bitters*
- 3 bottles chilled low-carb lager
- 6oz white rum
- Orange slices
1. In a large jug, combine everything.
2. Add ice and garnish with orange slices.
* Lemon lime bitters! This is a particularly Australian soft drink. It is made by mixing Sprite (or lemonade as we call it here), with lime cordial and a dash of bitters.
Stay Merry everyone!